The Two Hundred Club of Greater Miami, Inc. was founded in 1968 by Ben Benjamin, Ben C. McGahey, Samuel J. Powers, Jr., Ralph Renick and Don Shoemaker. It was patterned after the One Hundred Club of Detroit, which has operated with outstanding accomplishments in that city since 1952.
The concept of the ”Hundred Clubs” was born in Detroit in 1952. Following the fatal shooting of a young Detroit officer, a gentleman by the name of William M. Packer, the largest Pontiac Dealer in the nation, who was a friend of the Police Commissioner, wrote to 100 of his friends encouraging them to donate to a fund for the fallen officer. The response was 100%. Packer and the Commissioner met with the expectant widow, reviewed her finances and arranged to pay off the mortgage on their home recently purchased in 1952, all the bills, set up an education account for the yet unborn child and deposited $7,000 in the widows checking account. Bill Packer and his one hundred friends then incorporated the The One Hundred Club of Detroit.